Recreation Reserve & Swimming Pool
The best place to rest in Violet Town after you have picked up a coffee or some lunch.
With shady trees and lots of facilities for visitors, the Recreation Reserve is open 24 hours a day with free parking. Enter through the iron Lest We Forget gates which date from 1884 and on the left you’ll find:
- Undercover barbeque with tables and chairs
- Children’s playground
- Water refill station
- Public toilets – open 8.00 am – 4.00 pm
- Swimming pool – open December-March in the afternoons/evenings
- Wood fired community pizza oven
Grab a seat next to the football oval or under a tree for your picnic, or take a stroll along our Honeysuckle Creek walk and use one of the available tables there.
The water refill station provides facilities for filling bottles, watering the dog or having a slurp.
Our playground features a wonderful nest swing which several children can ride at one time. With soft fall underneath, there are swings, slides and climbing equipment suitable for a variety of ages.
On Market days, the community wood-fired pizza oven cooks up a storm. Run by Community House volunteers and fuelled by wood from the Community Forest, a variety of home-made pizzas are churned out to feed hungry patrons.
The pool is open from the 1st December to the long weekend in March each year. During school holidays the pool opens at 12:00 midday. Trained lifeguards run the delightful family friendly Violet Town Pool. With plenty of water toys and swimming aids we are keen to make sure your visit to the Violet Town Pool is a fun time.
Sessions of aqua aerobics with Aqua Chicks, and squad swimming and swimming lessons are available. Visit the pool and ask about Robbie's swimming squad and VicSwim.
- Pool membership tickets are available from the pool complexes. Season membership tickets are free to residents who present the ticket attached to their Strathbogie Shire rate notice with their rate notice to the pool operators.
- Annual season ticket holders may gain entry to any pool complex within the Shire.
- All children under five years of age are admitted free of charge.
- Handicap companions or carers with a card are admitted free.
- Minimum age of child allowed to attend pool on their own is 10 years old
Season and day pass prices are available on the Shire Website
- Weekdays – 3.00 pm to 7.00 pm Evening Extension 8.00 pm if very hot
- Weekend – 1.00 pm to 7.00 pm
- School Holidays – 12.00 pm to 7.00 pm
The pool is closed on Christmas Day and on any day below 22 degrees (measured by the thermometer at the pool)
Harris Cup and Honeysuckle Shield
The pool runs an annual family-orientated community swimming carnival in February each year which everyone is welcome to attend. The Harris Cup, named after George Harris, is a six person relay race with a minimum of two females, open to all ages. It is one lap of the pool each. The Honeysuckle Shield is an event for four primary school children, two boys and two girls.