Violet Town Action Group [VTAG] has been actively looking after the interests of the community for many years and has as its vision and purpose:
"VTAG is a group of people drawn from the local community. VTAG works to develop and support community activities and initiatives, and provides a forum which facilitates discussion and decision making for the communities of Violet Town and District."
VTAG operates with a nine person committee with three members elected each year or as vacancies arise.
VTAG has a number of sub-committees that are responsible for the organisation of major projects in the community:
- Market sub-committee is responsible for the operation of the Violet Town Community Market – working with a paid market co-ordinator.
- Honeysuckle Recreation Environment Project sub-committee has undertaken the creation of a 3km walking and cycling trail along both sides of the Honeysuckle Creek within the town boundaries and extensive revegetation of the creek.
- Village Voice sub-committee organises the publication of the monthly Village Voice (available for viewing on this website) with the assistance of a paid coordinator.
- Hall sub-committee is responsible for the management and minor repairs of the Violet Town Community Complex. All hire fees are used for minor maintenance and improvements to the complex.
- Violet Town Community Forest sub-committee was responsible for the development and planting of the Community Forest on a part of Shadforth Reserve to the north of town. The wood will be a resource for fire wood for the community wood fired oven and residents in years to come.
- History Group – is committed to recording, documenting and preserving the town’s history. The group has an extensive collection of historical photos- many can be seen in the gallery on this website.
- Seed Savers Group
2016 -2017 Violet Town Action Group Committee members are:
Chairperson – Howard Myers
Deputy chairperson – Michael MacLaughlan
Secretary – Lance Williams
Jo Beavis (Executive Treasurer)
Committee members –
Jennie Wu Errey
Treasurer/book-keeper – Vikki Lane (paid position)
one position vacant.
Violet Town and District Community Plan 2014-2018
The Violet Town Community Plan 2014 – 2018 is the third Community Plan developed by the community of Violet Town and the surrounding district. It has been put together by information provided from the local community. This information was gathered through a number of different ways: at a Community Opportunity Workshop (COW) held on the 14 November 2013; from targeted input from key community groups before and after the COW; from ideas gathered through a suggestion box placed in the local supermarket for a period of three weeks; and via comments on a draft version distributed throughout the community.