Violet Town Action Group (VTAG) is a group of people drawn from the local community. It looks after the interests of the community and has as its vision and purpose:
"VTAG works to develop and support community activities and initiatives, and provides a forum which facilitates discussion and decision making for the communities of Violet Town and district."
VTAG endeavours to:
- speak for or represent the community as required, and at the request of the community;
- promote a community environment that is inclusive;
- promote a community environment that is considerate of the well-being of its members;
- provide financial management and support for active community groups that are under the auspices of the VTAG;
- support other active community groups or organisations as relevant; and
- undertake publicity and marketing of the community and community events as necessary.
It is the Shire Council's Community Planning Reference Group for Violet Town and produces the Violet Town Community Action Plan.
The current VTAG constitution/rules can be found here.
VTAG operates with a committee of up to 12 members, with three members elected each year or as vacancies arise. The committee meets monthly at the Community Centre meeting room.
To become a member of VTAG Inc, fill in a Membership Form (Word or PDF download ), attach $2.00 and give to the Secretary or drop off at Monkey Business in Cowslip St.
VTAG encourages community groups to apply for funding for projects by completing the Community Funding Application form (Word or PDF download).
VTAG has a number of auspiced groups and sub-committees that are responsible for organising projects in the community:
- Village Voice sub committee - manages the publication of the monthly Village Voice newsletter (available for viewing on this site) with the assistance of a paid coordinator.
- The Australia Day sub committee - organises Australia Day celebrations and works with the Shire regarding nominations for awards.
- Honeysuckle Recreation Environment Project auspiced group has undertaken a number of projects including creating the Honeysuckle Creek Walking Track within the town boundaries, revegetation of the creek and plantings for wildlife between Honeysuckle Creek and Shadforth Reserve.
- The Violet Town Hall Committee is an auspiced group responsible for the management and minor repairs of the Violet Town Community Complex. All hire fees are used for minor maintenance and improvements to the complex.
- History Group – is an auspiced group committed to recording, documenting and preserving the town’s history. The group has an extensive collection of historical photos - many can be seen in the gallery on this website and produces an annual calendar.
- Southern Aurora Memorial group is an auspiced group which has established the memorial gardens for the Southern Aurora train crash in Cowslip St
- Friends of the Pool - this auspiced group raises funds to provide additional amenities at Violet Town pool - the best in the Shire!
- Shadforth Reserve Committee - is an auspiced group that manages both the built and natural environment of the Reserve on behalf of the Shire.
- Violet Town Skate Park group - this group is developing the skate park precinct at the Recreation Reserve.
- Events on Cowslip St group - an auspiced group that runs an annual event in Cowslip St
- St Dunstan's Film Society is an auspiced group running monthly film nights.
Groups should complete a Request for Payment form (Word or PDF) to enable their funds to be transferred to pay invoices etc.
Other working groups are formed to examine particular issues in town such as streetscape development, development of new infrastructure projects or production of the town's tourist brochures.
Violet Town Action Group Committee may be contacted at:
Bookkeeping is provided by a paid employee.