Violet Town Action Group (VTAG) is a group of people drawn from the local community. It looks after the interests of the community and has as its vision and purpose:
"VTAG works to develop and support community activities and initiatives, and provides a forum which facilitates discussion and decision making for the communities of Violet Town and District."
VTAG endeavours to:
•speak for or represent the community as required, and at the request of the community;
•promote a community environment that is inclusive;
•promote a community environment that is considerate of the well-being of its members;
•provide financial management and support for active community groups that are under the auspices of the VTAG;
•support other active community groups or organisations as relevant; and
•undertake publicity and marketing of the community and community events as necessary.
VTAG operates with a nine person committee with three members elected each year or as vacancies arise. The committee meets monthly at the Community Centre meeting room.
VTAG has a number of sub-committees that are responsible for organising projects in the community:
- Honeysuckle Recreation Environment Project sub-committee has undertaken a number of projects including creating a three km walking trail along both sides of the Honeysuckle Creek within the town boundaries, extensive revegetation of the creek and plantings for wildlife between Honeysuckle Creek and Shadforth Reserve.
- Village Voice editorial committee organises the publication of the monthly Village Voice (available for viewing on this website) with the assistance of a paid coordinator.
- Hall sub-committee is responsible for the management and minor repairs of the Violet Town Community Complex. All hire fees are used for minor maintenance and improvements to the complex.
- Violet Town Community Forest sub-committee was responsible for the development and planting of the Community Forest on a part of Shadforth Reserve to the north of town. The wood will be a resource for fire wood for the community wood fired oven and residents in years to come.
- History Group – is committed to recording, documenting and preserving the town’s history. The group has an extensive collection of historical photos- many can be seen in the gallery on this website.
- Southern Aurora Memorial group
- Friends of the Pool
- Shadforth Reserve Commitee
Violet Town Action Group Committee members are:
Bookkeeping is provided by a paid employee.